Sunday, April 19, 2015

Countdown

Today was my last volunteer shift at Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park. I've been a volunteer there for about 4 years and I've sure had fun. When I first heard the radio ad asking for people to volunteer at La Chua Trail, I thought--"they let you do that? Yes!" and signed up right away. Through frosty mornings, blazing sun, clouds, rain, mud, fire ants, stubborn gators, bison and drones, our cheerful team works together every weekend from October-April, giving helpful information and talking to visitors about our very favorite place. I've loved every minute. This is not goodbye--I'll visit often! Here are some images from today.
Trail Entrance

Our Info Trailer and Welcome Station

Baby Gator in its Own Pond

Bull Gator Cooling Itself

Noble Profile

Purple Gallinules

Yellow Water Lilies--Nymphaea mexicana

American Coot

Saddleback Dragonfly

Looking Out Over the Prairie

Great Blue Heron Nests

Visitors on the Viewing Platform

Acres of Pickerelweed--Pontederia cordata

Boat Tailed Grackle

Osprey With its Talons Out, Hunting

Yellow Water Lily--Nymphaea mexicana

Common Gallinule

Pied Billed Grebe

Family of Common Gallinules

Little Blue Heron With Bullfrog Tadpole

Down the Hatch

-Gulp-

Full Belly and Beautiful Breeding Plumage!

2 of My Trailer Buddies, Helene and Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment